Monday, April 12, 2010

I Yam What I Yam

I’m a girl, and I like golf. I grew up with a golf-playing and golf-watching father. My pops even put me in private golfing lessons as a teenager. I think he was hoping for the next Korean superstar of the LPGA. Too bad I absolutely sucked, still do, but, hey, I enjoy the game anyway. I was stoked about seeing Tiger Woods come back into the game at this year’s Masters Tournament. Unfortunately, I was a little disappointed when I heard he said the following in his press conference preceding the tournament:

“I made a conscious decision to try and tone down my negative outbursts and consequently I’m sure my positive outbursts will be calmed down, as well… Just trying to be more respectful of the game and acknowledge the fans like I did today.”

If you’ve ever watched Tiger Woods play before this tournament, you know that his decorum isn’t the most pleasant on the course, but hey, that’s what you can do when you’re the world’s greatest golfer and athlete. Tiger Woods isn’t known for his smiling face and his optimistic attitude. To be honest, I think that’s another reason as to why I like the guy. He’s a real person. I can guarantee that if I was playing this sport, where an entire gallery of people is watching me and only me and where analyzing every external factor becomes an art, I wouldn’t be the most cordial person either.

Why, Tiger, are you changing your persona now? As I was watching Thursday’s airing of the Masters, one of the commentators was saying, “Gosh, there’s a lot more smiling and talking out there on the course. A lot more than usual.” Tiger, if this need for change is genuine, then sure, go ahead and be a “better” person. Granted the smiling face and upbeat attitude only lasted for so long, but, if that attempt was just a cheap public relations ploy, well then, you have totally lost yourself. The reason I love Tiger Woods so much is because he is a phenomenal golfer. Yes, he got married, had a few kids, and inevitably had multiple affairs. Sorry about it, but I didn’t like him because he was the world’s most upstanding guy (even though, I still don’t think he should have cheated on his wife… if he didn’t think he could keep it in your pants, then he shouldn’t have gotten married in the first place… just another reason why I’m against relationships in the first place but we’ll save that for another article).

So, I have to ask, why do people try to change themselves to appeal to the masses? Aren’t we supposed to be proud of who we are? No one is perfect. I know I’m far from it, but I am who I am. I like to think that I’m smart, driven, funny at times, sarcastic, witty, a good friend, a good daughter, and a good sister. But at the same time, I know I can be a bitch. Many of my friends have told me that they’re glad they’ve never been on my bad side. Yes, I have an attitude, mainly towards people I don’t like though. I have my own opinions that will most certainly differ than other people’s opinions and thus, head-butting is inevitable. I can name a lot of people who probably don’t like me. I can name people who have met me once and didn’t like me. I can name people who probably don’t even know me and don’t like me. I can even name people who were once friends of mine and now don’t like me. And the same goes the other way around. Trying to appease everyone is absolutely impossible. What’s so wrong with having a defined vision of your own and just being the person you are? I do what I think is right for myself, my family, and my friends. If I did what everyone else wanted me to do, one, I would never be able to do anything, and two, how would I be able to sleep at night knowing that the wrong decision was made?! (If you know me, then you know I’m always right… tee hee hee.) The things that we go through in life define us as people. Some people go through worse things than others, things that they wouldn’t wish upon their greatest “frenemies,” and others have a relatively smooth life in the grand scheme of things. But every action that is made helps us to realize our own thoughts and beliefs and the person that we want to be in life. Your true friends are always going to be there for you because they know the real person and the good intentions made throughout your friendships. Ultimately, I would just rather be a person of my own self-standing than someone who is so unsure of herself that she has to tip-toe around other people to prevent “hurting someone else’s feelings.” I think we’re old enough to accept that fact and to move on with life. Sometimes, you just have to ask yourself, “So What?”

No comments:

Post a Comment