Wednesday, March 10, 2010

"Inside Spoon with the Best BF Ever! Love my Life!"

Dedicated to my old roomie and one of my best friends. MISS YOU!

Disclaimer: Some of you might take offense by what is written. It’s not personal. Don’t say you haven’t been warned.

Dislcaimer 2: If you haven't seen March 8's GG yet, skip the first paragraph.

Monday night, WAHOO! The return of Gossip Girl to the CW.

As I was watching this much anticipated drama-filled entertainment masterpiece, I hushed my boy roommate who was coming downstairs so that I wouldn’t lose concentration on the detailed story line of Serena and Nate getting bad advice from both of their friends, in which Nate uninvited Serena from the French Ambassador’s dinner, and then in retaliation, Serena invited herself to the dinner with Damien, who is an intercontinental drug dealer and has brought little innocent Jenny into the mix, well maybe not quite so innocent as she was there to go to the dinner with Nate who showed solo to keep playing hard to get with Serena, but don’t worry, Nate and Serena ended up making up and then hooking up in the coat room. HOTT!! (Notice the 2 t’s.)

I look back at all of the television shows that I watch (and trust me, there’s a crap ton), and I can tell you one common theme amongst all of them: relationships. Whether or not they are between a guy and a girl, or a guy and a guy, or a girl and a girl, relationships are plastered everywhere. For instance, look at Nate and Serena and Chuck and Blair on Gossip Girl. Cappy and Casey and Grant and Calvin from Greek. Even on crime shows, there’s the whole Callie and Delko relationship from CSI:Miami. Everywhere, every channel we turn to, there it is, right in front of us (literally)… relationships!

Obviously relationships are a part of reality as well. If you’re not in a relationship yourself, then you know someone who is, whether or not you really actually know that person. “What's she talking about?” you must be thinking to yourself. Well, due to the advancement in technology and social networking, we, innocent bystanders, are subjected to the extremely detailed aspects of a person-in-a-relationship’s day. I have just one question for everyone, DO WE REALLY CARE?!?! Do we care if a certain somebody is going couch shopping to pick out that perfect “L-shaped” sectional in that perfect color of chocolate to match the sea-foam colored walls and beige carpets with her super sweet and loving and perfect boyfriend? If we didn’t know that, would our day be ruined? Are we planning on meeting this couple out to help them with their super important “things to do” list? Perhaps, we could offer words of encouragement, such as, YOU CAN DO IT! GO GET THAT COUCH! Cheer them on, and give them that extra push they’ve needed all day long.

In an effort to not solely pick on that one FB status, I have decided to include a few more in here (anonymously, of course), but feel free to scroll down if you feel the urge to vomit all of a sudden.

“Dreamy night with the boy.”

“Waiting for my fabulous dinner to be made by the best BF ever! Love you!”

Girl Wall Post: HI!

Boy Wall Post: HI!

Girl Wall Post: Miss you!

Boy Wall Post: Miss you more!

Girl Wall Post: See you tonight!

Boy Wall Post: Can’t wait!

That just doesn’t even justify a response from me.

"I'm looking forward to our plans tonight. I miss you and can't wait to see you in just a few short hours!"

I’m almost speechless when I read/see crap like that every day, but as you can tell, I’m not totally speechless about it. Let me think of a few words that come to mind: annoying, overly excessive, trying too hard… the list will go on for miles… and miles… and miles. But I’ll spare you the agonizing pain of mentally reliving moments like that. Call me a hater or a skeptic... you’re probably right, but I will tell you one thing, even regular people, people in healthy, normal relationships and other single, optimistic, glass-is-half-full type people find these things to be above and beyond. We are laughing AT you my friend.

I’ve been witness to several types of relationships in my life: some doomed from the start, some starting out from friendships, some starting out from dating websites, some that you never thought would have made it and against all odds, this couple has lasted. Despite how a couple started off, where does the line begin for your own life and your life with your significant other? Growing up, people used to say, “bros before hoes” and “chicks before dicks.” Ultimately, the point coming across both of those messages is, friends first. I’m not saying this is true or played out in real life because I will be the first to tell you when it comes down to it, that statement is lost in translation, but keep in mind, your friends give you your own life, something else to look forward to in your day, other than just spending time with your significant other. Where along the lines do you lose yourself? Some of the people I used to be friends with (key words there are “used to be”) were amazing people. They were smart and loyal and above everything else, always there when a friend was in need. But since those days, they’ve moved on with their boyfriend or girlfriend, and seem to have misplaced that group they once called friends. I don’t see how it’s possible for an individual’s life to be based solely on his or her significant other. When something goes awry in a relationship or God forbid, something happens in your family and you need someone to turn to other than your other half, where are you friends? Those friends that you have spent so much time alienating and distancing yourself from? Perhaps these kid’s are better people than I and no matter how you treat them, they’ll always be there for you, but how is that fair? I just want to know. Maybe it’s a growth thing, something that happens in time with relationships, but finding that balance between friends and boy/girlfriend is a necessity. Girls night. Boys night. Keep in touch with those that love you and have spent so much time getting to know your perfections and imperfections, but still love you anyway. Have something to look forward to other than couch shopping. This is someone speaking from the perspective of an outsider, someone who has lost friendships because of situations like this. I hate to see friendships end because the balance is tipped in favor of the significant other. If I said it once, I’ve said it a million times, if I ever start acting as if my life isn’t my own, run me over with a car because I need the sense knocked into me and the stupidity knocked out of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment